Season 00 Day 007 Stream – Cleaning the Components
“Day 7, we introduce matrix multiplication and then proceed to an uninterrupted stretch of rigging proper (yay!)
Lots of nodelling.”
Raf hits some basics of the Matrix, the Matrix is the transform in Maya and describes what was required to move the object to where it is in space.
If you want to reverse the path of the object back to 0,0,0 this is the “inverse Matrix” will give you this path.
*order maters in how they are multiplied* Similar to Rotate order
“Build a rig that you are not affrid to change the rig”
If the rig so far has been built correctly you can simply select all the “deform” nodes and graph them and cut the connections. (rig should stop updating the mesh after)
Don’t be afraid to detach chunks of your rig and re-hook up later.
Next hunt down any nodes that are in the connections but not named correctly
- localWorld_srt updated to pedals_M_localWorld_srt
- Control graphed and “wheel_M_main_ctrl_wMtx_output_fNode2” gets updated to match what the in and out connections are “pedals_M_staffworldMtx_fNode”
- Continue to clean the graph and make sure the IK FK blend works
- Here you need to watch closely as Raf shows a fearless editing of the existing rig nodes to prep the rig.
- Create new curve shape
- pedals_M_settings_ctrl and parent it under the pedals_M_cmpnt-controls
- It needs to move along with the rig
- pedals_M_world3staff_offset_srt-> pedals_M_staffworldMTX_fNode-> pedals_M_settings_ctrl
- Add custom attribute FKIK_switch and pedals_gravityAligned
We had this working before but it gets disconnected and cleaned up
- We were using the animBlendNode_AdditiveRotation weight to rotate the node to flip the value and also do the blend.
- Make sure animBlendNode_AdditiveRotation.output -> pedals_M_pole_srt.rotation (this still works from our process before)
- Few more cleanup passes on some of the other unnamed nodes multMatrix1, decomposeMatrix2, vectorProduct3,angleBetween node, from pedals_M_world3staff_offset_srt. pedals_M_localizedPEdal2staff_fNode, pedals_M_localizedPEdal2staff_mtx2srt, pedals_M_ikPedals_projectedAxis_fNode, pdeals_M_ikPedals_projectedAngle_fNode
“Don’t just copy what I do, become familiar build dexterity with the Node editor”
The next process is hooking up the logic for the connections, FKIK_switch out to Weight B on but the value needs to be flipped- Using Reverse node to flip the 0 to 1 should give us the weight swap.
FKIk_swtich to animBlendNode_AdditiveRotation.Weight A to finish the rig.
Next get multDoubleLinear node take FKIK switch attribute to its input 1 and set input 2 to -1 to flip the incoming value and hook it up to the animBlendNode_AdditiveRotation.Weight A .
Rename your nodes and clean up the graph on what you just created and hooked up.
- wheel_M_main_ctrl_wMtx_output_fNode1.Translate -> staves_srt.Translate
- animBlendNode_AdditiveRotation.rotate-> staves_srt.rotation
- update name animBlendNode_AdditiveRotation to pedals_M_FKIK_rotBlend_fNode
Here Raf walks the graph and updates the names of the nodes to help make sure they make sense to the rig and do what they are doing, there are many changes here so take the time to watch this part of the video or clean up the rig names on your own.
Follow Raf on twitter for announcements and news
Follow the Streams live on Twitch
Subscribe and watch past broadcasts
Cult of Rig -YouTube
And keep up to date with news on the website